Eldars & Tyranids: «HOPE»





Models: "Eldar Dire avengers" & "Tyranid hormagaunt brood"
Company: Games workshop


Introduction:
 I am not specially good at painting small and thin miniatures, so Eldars looked like a quite difficult option, but also a challenge!
 First of all I assembled the 5 warriors, trying to find different and dynamic positions. I put them on a cork pyramid, giving them a battle aspect. I always remember the great work by Volomir: "The last stand of the Crimson fists", which inspired me a lot, 



or «The last light»,by Roman Lappat.

I decided that Eldars would have different ranges: the captain would have a cloak and a spear, without helmet, would be leading to the others; 2nd in charge would be the banner bearer; two of them would have bigger helmets and finally, the two with the shorter ones would be just soldiers. 



My first choice was painting them as a unit, but later I decided adding more dramatism, making a complex battle scene. I thought that tyranids are always a good option to this purpose.

I built a bigger base, using also a candy can in the bottom:




Testing and positioning figures:



Looking for a great contrast between light and shadows, with a source coming from the right side. I think it is something which makes me feel comfortable.

Testing tones by sketching. At the beginning I was thinking about the film: "300", but it didn´t work quite well.


So I chose blue as main color:

Lighting and shadowing:



I chose a palette based in browns and quite desaturated green and violet tones for the Tyranids:


And final photos:






Finally, It won Gold medal in fantasy dioramas cathegory, VIII static modelism contest, Leganés 2018





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurgle fly + 40k Chaos chosen: «NURGLED»

STARDRAKE: "THE DEMON SLAYER»

MV CHALLENGE 2018 "Would you be my friend?"